October 4, 2010

Hanging Spiders


I completed this project in about 30 minutes.
I didn't plan on posting the spiders as my first project but it was quick and easy. 
I created a template in Excel for the pleated paper rosettes, then I sketched the web design with a sharpie.



I assembled the rosettes and added the spiders that I had left over from another project with hot glue.


I've had this award frame for a while now and I finally got to use it. I attached one end of the white thread to the back of the rosette with hot glue and the other end to the inside of the frame with hot glue.

Now I just need to figure out where I should display it....

 
For the spider web template, go here.



I've gotten several questions on how to actually assemble the spiderwebs. You can search online for tutorials on making paper rosettes. There are numerous videos on YouTube on how to do it. Here are the steps I followed:


1. Cut out the template.
2. Sketch your web design. (I just made like a parenthesis sign on each segment. You can make this any way you want)
3. Score the lines. I used the end of a paperclip and the indentations on my paper cutter. (Let me know if this doesn't make sense)
4. Fold on the scored lines. (It will start to look like an accordion)
5. Connect one end to the other and adhere it somehow. (I used regular tacky glue)
6. Then form it into the "rosette".
7. Add glue to the center front and center back.
8. Put something with a little weight on the rosette to hold it together while it dries.



Visit thecsiproject.com

27 comments:

Unknown said...

You have truly inspired me with this project. Thanks for visiting my Vintage Inspired Pumpkin and leaving a comment. Be sure to visit:
http://www.shabbylaneshops.com/pages/pumpkin.htm
They're having a Pumpkin Decorating Contest and I can truly use your support by voting for Tesoro Fino! Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Great job! I never would have thought of using Excel to make a template like that. Thanks for linking up to my Halloween Party!

- Megan
www.polishthestars.com

Jennifer Leigh said...

@Rita @ TesoroFino.com

Rita, I'm so glad...you have my vote. :)

Lynn S. said...

Wow! these are a really great idea and cute too! Thanks for sharing them with us!

the cape on the corner said...

they look great! i can see these dangling from the ceiling during a party, too. love it!

www.thecapeonthecorner.blogspot.com

Rhonda Greene said...

Thank you for submitting this project to Dollar Store Crafts - I love them! I'm including them in a Halloween roundup - look for it to be posted sometime in the next week or 2! :)

Jennifer Leigh said...

@Rhonda

Thanks so much Rhonda!!

Wendy said...

Very Cute! I love the hanging spiders!

Courtney said...

Wow! This is so cute and I never would have been clever enough to have done it this way! So impressive! Thanks for linking to Crazy Cute at Between U & Me! I hope to see you again next week! :D

Mindy said...

These are really cute!

Kim -today's creative blog said...

so clever!
http://todayscreativeblog.net/

Anonymous said...

This is a great idea. I'm going to use it with my elementary students.

Unknown said...

This is adorable. I highlighted it at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com tonight. Grab my "featured" button.

Sawdust Girl said...

Those spiderweb rosettes are amazing! Great idea.

Sawdust Girl said...

Just spotlighted this post. Thanks for sharing and linking up!

:-) Sandra

Sew Can Do said...

Cute & fast - got to love that. Thanks for linking to Craftastic Monday:)

GG said...

Please tell me how to do this on excel..............I have never done anything like this. Please email me at gilmergd@gmail.com. Thanks.

Sabrina said...

I love these and want to make a bunch to decorate our class booth for our School's Harvest Festival next weekend. I'm not sure I understand how to take the excel template and make it into the web. Accordian folds and . . .

Tricia said...

I'm with Sabrina - how do we transform the template into a web? Are there instructions somewhere else on your site? Confused...

[came here from craftzine blog]

Tracy said...

These are insanely cute! I found this tutorial with a downloadable PDF that shows you how to make the rosette. It even has pictures and I'm all about that!
http://www.paper-source.com/cgi-bin/paper/howto/Paper-Rosette.html

Happy Crafting!

LBT said...

Very clever! And the frame idea is brilliant and spookily beautiful. I am now going to have to learn this rosette thing. If it helps make something this cute I've got to know how to do it!

Found you from Sew Woodsy...now following! Please visit LBT and let me know what you think. Thx!

Angelene
http://littlebuggietutu.blogspot.com

Katie said...

I love it! Thanks for linking up @ SewWoodsy.blogspot.com

Karie said...

Cute, cute idea. Thanks for sharing.

Jennifer Leigh said...

@Tricia

I've updated my post with additional instructions. Hope it helps.

Erin Quinn said...

Love these! I wanted to try them with my co-op preschool, but decided I'll do them by myself later. :) Such a great idea! You should enter them in my sister's "DIY Halloween Contest". She's giving away great prizes! Here's the link to her contest: http://ellekate.blogspot.com/p/diy-contest.ht

Cassie said...

This is so easy and so much fun!!! I think I could do this as a classroom project!
I would love it if you linked to my Halloween Party!
http://www.paperissues.blogspot.com/

Erin said...

These are really cute! Way to go!